[R-SIG-Mac] Setting locale for running R in emacs / ess

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri Oct 23 14:13:17 CEST 2015

Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at me.com> writes:

>> On Oct 23, 2015, at 5:33 AM, Rainer M Krug <Rainer at krugs.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I installed R via homebrew, but it should be the same for the normal R
>> installation.
>>
>> When I start R in emacs, I get these unset locale warnings:
>>
>> ,----
>> | During startup - Warning messages:
>> | 1: Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
>> | 2: Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
>> | 3: Setting LC_TIME failed, using "C"
>> | 4: Setting LC_MESSAGES failed, using "C"
>> | 5: Setting LC_MONETARY failed, using "C"
>> | R version 3.2.2 (2015-08-14)
>> | Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0 (64-bit)
>> | Running under: OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
>> |
>> | locale:
>> | [1] C
>> |
>> | attached base packages:
>> | [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>> |                _
>> | platform       x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0
>> | arch           x86_64
>> | os             darwin14.5.0
>> | system         x86_64, darwin14.5.0
>> | status
>> | major          3
>> | minor          2.2
>> | year           2015
>> | month          08
>> | day            14
>> | svn rev        69053
>> | language       R
>> | version.string R version 3.2.2 (2015-08-14)
>> | nickname       Fire Safety
>> | >
>> `----
>>
>> But I have the following in my .emacs file which should set the locales
>> (as far as I know)
>>
>> ,----
>> | (setq utf-translate-cjk-mode nil) ; disable CJK coding/encoding (Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters)
>> | (set-language-environment 'utf-8)
>> | ;; (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8-mac) ; For old Carbon emacs on OS X only
>> | (setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
>> | (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)
>> | (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
>> | (unless (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
>> |   (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8))
>> | (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
>> `----
>>
>> which apparently does not work.
>>
>> Do I have to resort to setting the locales as described at
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30264526/why-does-my-ess-r-session-fall-back-to-c-locale
>>
>> or am I missing something?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rainer
>

> Rainer,
>
> Download exec-path-from-shell.el from:
>
>   https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell
>
> and place it where you may have other Emacs related add ins.
>
> Then, in your ~/.emacs file, add:
>
>   (load "/PATH.TO/exec-path-from-shell")
>   (exec-path-from-shell-initialize)
>
> Replacing PATH.TO with the actual path to the exec-path-from-shell.el file.

Thanks - I was using exec-path-from-shell already, but it was supposed
to only copy the PATH and MANPATH as you can see here. But all
environmental variables were copier=d under emacs 24.

My problem is under 25, where exec-path-from-shell bev=haves as it
should (or emacs does) as it only copies the PATH and MANPATH. I now
added

,----
|   (exec-path-from-shell-copy-env "LC_ALL")
|   (exec-path-from-shell-copy-env "LANG")
`----

and it works nicely.

There seems to be a bug in either emacs 24 or in exec-path-from-shell.

> You should remove the other lines pertaining to locales that you have above.
>
> That should help Emacs/ESS started from the GUI/dock pick up the
> environment that you would normally have in a terminal session of R.
>
> Also, in case you are not aware, there is a dedicated ESS list here:

Yes I know, but I s=decided to ask here, as it is a mac specific
problem. The last time I tried it on the ESS list but did not get a
response.

Thanks a lot, and keep this change in mu=ind when upgrading to emacs
25,

Rainer

> Regards,
>
> Marc Schwartz