[R-SIG-Mac] svn update > "xcrun: error: invalid active developer path" after uipgrade to 10.11 El Capitan

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 16 10:15:41 CEST 2015

On 16/10/2015 09:06, Spencer Graves wrote:
> Hello:
>

>        I'm having a problem with "svn update" (with R-Forge) that may be
> due to a recent upgrade to OS X 10.11 El Capitan.  I'm getting the
> following:
>

> $ svn update
> xcrun: error: invalid active developer path
> (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at:
> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun
>

>        Google sent me to
> "http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28706428/invalid-active-developer-path-on-mac-os-x-after-installing-ruby"
> and "https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/23500" for ruby and
> git.  Stackoverflow seems to suggest that "sudo xcode-select --install"
> may fix the problem.  However, I know so little about this, I felt a
> need to ask here.
>

>        What do you think?

I think you should read the R manual,

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-patched/R-admin.html#OS-X

which tells you

1) To reinstall the CLT after an OS update.

2) To use xcode-select --install to do so.  (sudo may or may not be needed.)

And after all these years, please do read and follow the posting guide:
it is expected that you check in the manuals before posting.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK