[R-SIG-Mac] function data.entry() doesn't work and generate error

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 14 14:52:57 CEST 2015

On 14/10/2015 13:09, peter dalgaard wrote:

> On 14 Oct 2015, at 13:54 , Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> ...but isn't the Cellar a standard location for keeping homebrewed beverages?
>>
>> But not for a framework:
>>
>> 'Note: The standard locations for frameworks are the /System/Library/Frameworks directory and the /Library/Frameworks directory on the local system.'
>>
>> [https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFrameworks/Tasks/IncludingFrameworks.html]
>
> So there's a standard standard and a homebrew standard? ;-)
>
> Now you have made me curious: What specifically does not make sense with R as a framework in a nonstandard location? (Looks like Python and Qt do likewise.)

Time to read the manual (§C 3.6) ....  Building R as a framework is
designed to be used with R.app (or conceivably another app front end),
and such apps only look in Apple standard locations.  And there are
definite drawbacks (see the manual).

The Qt frameworks I had installed were in a standard location
(/Library/Frameworks).  And my Python framework is installed in
/System/Library/Frameworks.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK