[R-SIG-Mac] rgl crashes R.app in El Capitan

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 21:33:39 CEST 2015

On 13/10/2015 3:03 PM, Fox, John wrote:
> Dear r-sig-mac list members,
>
> I can reliably crash R.app in R 3.2.2 under El Capitan with
>
>   library(rgl)
>   demo("rgl")  # a few returns
>
> My session info:
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 3.2.2 (2015-08-14)
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 (64-bit)
> Running under: OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
>
> locale:
> [1] en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8/C/en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] rgl_0.95.1367
>
> I see this problem only in R.app, not when R is run in a terminal or in RStudio.
>
> This problem was original brought to my attention by Jose Conde (to whom I'm cc'ing this message), who encountered the problem using the scatter3d() function in the car package via the Rcmdr, but the problem isn't unique to either scatter3d() or the Rcmdr. In the case of scatter3d() the command
>
>     scatter3d(prestige ~ income + education, data=Prestige)
>
> which draws a regression surface, reliably crashes R.app, but
>
>     scatter3d(prestige ~ income + education, data=Prestige, surface=FALSE)
>
> which plots only points (as spheres) doesn't.
>
> I hope that this provides enough clues to diagnose the problem.

I don't have El Capitan, I'm still running under OS X 10.9.5
(Mavericks), and it doesn't crash.

Since you're using the latest rgl, you must have built it yourself --
CRAN doesn't distribute binaries for it (at least for Mavericks).  Did
you get any errors or warnings during compilation?

Duncan Murdoch