[R-SIG-Mac] Experiences with El Capitan

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Oct 13 04:58:36 CEST 2015

On 10/12/2015 8:51 PM, Kevin Ushey wrote:
> The simplest way to fix your issue is to symlink R to /usr/local/bin, e.g.
>
>      ln -s /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R /usr/local/bin/R

This worked.  Thanks.  Spencer

... but not completely:  "R CMD build" worked.  "R CMD check" ended with:

Error in texi2dvi(file = file, pdf = TRUE, clean = clean, quiet = quiet,  :
   pdflatex is not available

> Or, as Professor Ripley said in his initial post, R installers from
> 3.2.2 on El Capitan will now install a symlink at /usr/local/bin/R, so
> you might want to just re-install or update R.
>
> Updating the CLT is normally just a matter of downloading the latest

What's CLT?  Central Limit Theorem?  Charlotte Douglas International
Airport?

> version of Xcode from the App Store, if I understand correctly. (You

	  I requested "Xcode" at the App Store.  It asked for my Apple password
then went away.  I rebooted and still got "pdflatex is not available".

> may need to read + confirm a license agreement on your next run of the
> clang compiler -- try running 'clang' after installing Xcode to see if
> you're prompted)

$ clang
xcrun: error: invalid active developer path
(/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at:
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

	  Thanks again for your prompt reply.  Other suggestions?  (All this
worked before I upgraded to OS X 10.11.)  Spencer