[R-SIG-Mac] OS reports request to set locale to "en_US.utf8"...

Marius Hofert marius.hofert at uwaterloo.ca
Fri May 15 03:32:31 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm working under Mac OS X 10.10.3 and installed R from source (see
below for more information). Hen compiling a package I receive a
warning about UTF-8 not being available:

* checking package subdirectories ... OK
* checking R files for non-ASCII characters ... OK
* checking R files for syntax errors ... WARNING
Warning in Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE", "en_US.utf8") :
  OS reports request to set locale to "en_US.utf8" cannot be honored
* checking whether the package can be loaded ... OK
* checking whether the package can be loaded with stated dependencies ... OK
* checking whether the package can be unloaded cleanly ... OK

I don't know any place where I call Sys.setlocale() and if I set the
locale to "C" in .Rprofile, I still receive the same message (and the
R admin manual is not very detailed about this case)

How can I fix that? (Let me know if you need more information)

Below is the output of sessionInfo().

Thanks & cheers,
Marius

sessionInfo()
R version 3.2.0 (2015-04-16)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin14.3.0 (64-bit)
Running under: OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite)

locale:
[1] C

attached base packages: