[R-SIG-Mac] Non-root OS X installation?

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Tue May 5 10:31:49 CEST 2015

boB Rudis <bob at rudis.net> writes:

> Hey Branden,
>
> This http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/149451/install-r-in-my-own-directory
> has some basic steps, but the gist is to compile it from scratch (good
> compile options in the homebrew recipe for R
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/blob/master/r.rb ).

I can only recommend using homebrew for installation of R (and
everything else you need). Works perfectly for me. Just be careful not
to mix up the official R packages and their dependencies (especially
fortran and tcltk) with the homebrew ones - I started with the official
ones and moved gradually to a full homebrew setup - and it is much
easier to maintain for me. I did not have as many probles on the swithch
to Yosemite as the uers of the official R version.

In a nutshell: go for homebrew and you might even not have to change
anything and it will install under /usr/local/ as a normal user -
homebrew does not need root access for most programs.

Cheers,

Rainer