[R-SIG-Mac] problem with character encoding in file names in R 3.2

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun May 3 21:34:14 CEST 2015

On 03/05/2015 3:11 PM, Denis Chabot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don’t quite know how to produce a repeatable example for you because the problem I have seems to be caused by folder names on my computer.
>
> Yesterday I was still using R 3.1.2 and there was no problem with this issue.
>
> Today with R3.2 it does not.
>
> Input = "../data/"
> juvcodData = paste0(Input, "Données respirométrie SDA morues juv/« )  # the name of this folder contains accented vowels
>
> a = 1:10folder1 = paste0(Input, "Données respirométrie SDA morues juv/")
> folder2 = paste0(Input, "Donnees respirometrie SDA morues juv/")
>
> a = 1:10
> save(a, file="bé.Rda ») #1

What you posted here doesn't have regular quotation marks.  I'm not sure
about the opening one, but the closing one has been converted to a
guillemet.  R would never have accepted this as input, so what you're
showing is is probably not what you actually did.

You also don't say exactly what happened, just that it didn't work.

Could you please post again, simplifying to just one string that fails,
and explain exactly how it fails?  I am sure that having save() call
paste() will not result in any difference from just calling paste() on
its own, and likewise manually typing the full string should produce the
same result as constructing it via paste().  (But I am not sure that
paste() is producing what you want.)

Thanks.

Duncan Murdoch