[R-SIG-Mac] checking for pdflatex

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Mar 17 14:15:48 CET 2015

Dear JJ,

I apologize for not providing more context: I think that we all understand the source of the problem, and I've already read the webpage that you reference and have looked at the RStudio fix.

I've put code in the development version of the Rcmdr that resets the PATH so that it's the same as for R run from a terminal or RStudio, but that may violate CRAN policies and would override a PATH that a user deliberately sets. I thought that there might be a simple way to modify the rmarkdown package so that it doesn't rely on pdflatex being present on the PATH to produce pdf output, but that might not prove feasible.

It's not clear to me why Simon hasn't adopted a fix for R.app similar to the one implemented by RStudio. That would deal with the problem more generally, but perhaps there's some consideration of which I'm unaware.

Best,
 John

.