[R-SIG-Mac] R 3.2.0 Mavericks/Yosemite: help.search showing error

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Jun 15 16:09:04 CEST 2015

> On Jun 15, 2015, at 6:49 AM, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>

> On Jun 15, 2015, at 7:36 AM, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In the confusion about which build is which I hope it's not forgotten that the problem started with ver 3.2.0's help.search function throwing an unexpected error when run in the R.app environment.
>>
>> Yes, but the suggestion was that the issue had gone away in current R-3-2-branch versions (never mind the current name), so had it? (I'd rather not check it for you because I'm superstitious about upsetting the build machine so close to release.)
>>

> Yes, that has been long fixed:
>

> Last-update: 2015-04-20
> *       fix HTTP help startup to use new R 3.2.0 API
>
> *       adapt to changed variable names in hsearch$match

This is on a machine where I obtained the R/GUI package installer on Saturday for the express purpose of attempting (and succeeding) in replicating the report I saw in Rhelp.

R version 3.2.0 (2015-04-16) -- "Full of Ingredients"
Copyright (C) 2015 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

[R.app GUI 1.65 (6931) x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0]

[History restored from /Users/davidwinsemius/.Rapp.history]

> help.search("test")
Error in help(db[i, "topic"], package = db[i, "Package"], lib.loc = lib,  :
  'topic' should be a name, length-one character vector or reserved word
> sessionInfo()
R version 3.2.0 (2015-04-16)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 (64-bit)
Running under: OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

[1] tools_3.2.0

Best;
David,

> Cheers,
> Simon
>

>> -pd
>>

>>> --
>>> David.
>>>>

>> --
>> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
>> Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
>> Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
>> Phone: (+45)38153501
>> Office: A 4.23
>> Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com

David Winsemius, MD