[R-SIG-Mac] Bug related to locale changes.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:40:37 CEST 2015

I posted this to R-devel yesterday; from responses received, it appears
to be OSX-specific (maybe Mavericks-specific).

In an R session started from the terminal with R --vanilla, I see this:

> Sys.setlocale(locale="en_CA")
[1] "en_CA/en_CA/en_CA/C/en_CA/en_CA.UTF-8"
> "320" > "300"
[1] NA
> "320" > "300"
[1] TRUE

The first string comparison after the locale change produces NA, while
later ones are fine.

The locale string "en_CA" doesn't appear to matter, as long as it is
different from my previous locale.

Do others see this?  Can we fix it before the 3.2.1 release?

Duncan Murdoch