[R-SIG-Mac] Problems to install a package

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 22:14:20 CEST 2015

> On 31 Jul 2015, at 21:36 , Berend Hasselman <bhh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>> On 31-07-2015, at 20:46, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 31 Jul 2015, at 12:33 , Timothy Bates <tim.bates at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> This happened for me too: that Intel Core 2 is just too old for the compiler.
>>>
>>> I used it as a stimulus to buy a new laptop… As a bonus, everything is ~10x faster
>>> Best, tim
>>
>> Hum, well, I wasn't actually planning to switch out my MB Air just now.
>>
>> I'm actually baffled that I haven't bumped into this before. Both my laptop and my office desktop are Core 2 Duo machines (and the latter is the one that builds the R source releases!).
>>

> If you use gfortran: which version?
> If you are not using any floating point then gfortran-4.8 will probably work without problems.
> I think.

It's 4.2.1 and 4.2.3, it seems. That's for the local builds; for the CRAN binaries, it seems that I just never tried building a package with Fortran in it. Not sure whether I have used any Fortran binaries (is there an easy way to check whether a package contains Fortran?)

>> Anyone have some harder info on this? Is it the case that gfortran-4.8 cannot compile code for the C2D architecture, or is it just that the compiler binaries on Simon's site were built for later architectures and are not backwards compatible. The latter could be fixed by rebuilding the compiler.
>>

> As far I know the compiler binaries use/generate floating point instructions directly or indirectly that cannot be handled by a C2D.
> See this reply by Simon to my original post:  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2014-May/010895.html
> Probably more than just the compiler binaries would have to be recompiled.

Yes, but "use/generate" is exactly the question. As far as I can tell, the invalid instruction is from f951 itself rather than the code that it generates.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com