[R-SIG-Mac] Problems to install a package

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Tue Jul 28 09:36:08 CEST 2015

Kevin Ushey <kevinushey at gmail.com> writes:

> There error here is, as it says:
>
>> make: gfortran-4.8: No such file or directory
>
> In other words, `make` is attempting to call `gfortran-4.8` to compile
> FORTRAN code in your package, but is unable to find it -- likely
> because it's not installed.
>
> Since 'gfortran' is no longer distributed as part of Apple's command
> line tools, you'll need to install it from another source -- Simon
> Urbanek hosts a version of 'gfortran' at http://r.research.att.com/
> (more specifically, in the `libs` directory at
> http://r.research.att.com/libs/gfortran-4.8.2-darwin13.tar.bz2).
> You'll want to unpack it in the root folder at `/` (or move it there
> after unpacking); the directory structure is such that the necessary
> pieces are dumped into `/usr/local/` and R will by default be able to
> discover everything needed.
>
> Alternatively (if you're prepared to do a bit more work),

I use this alternative exclusively, also for installing R and all
dependencies (effectively everything from the "Linux world") and I don't
think it is more work - on contrary - I think if=t is actually easier
and more transparent - but this might be because I come from the Linux
sphere of things and still think Linux - not OSX.

So in a nutshell, if you are used to Linux package managers, I would
recommend to use homebrew. If not, give it a try.

Cheers,

Rainer