[R-SIG-Mac] Error message while starting R

adithya viswanathan adhicena95 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 16:03:39 CET 2015

Good evening, My Mac runs on OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite and i recently installed R and R studio for my undergraduate project. While opening both R and R studios an warning message pops and the message is as follows;

During startup - Warning messages:
1: Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
2: Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
3: Setting LC_TIME failed, using "C"
4: Setting LC_MESSAGES failed, using "C"
5: Setting LC_MONETARY failed, using "C"
[R.app GUI 1.66 (7060) x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0]

WARNING: You're using a non-UTF8 locale, therefore only ASCII characters will work.
Please read R for Mac OS X FAQ (see Help) section 9 and adjust your system preferences accordingly.

I kindly request you to suggest me a solution for this so that the warnings may be avoided in the future. Waiting for your positive response.

Regards,
Adithya.V