[R-SIG-Mac] (old) rgl package crashes MacGUI using R 3.2.3 in El Cap, new compiled one does not.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 21:28:06 CET 2015

On 31/12/2015 1:06 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

>> On Dec 31, 2015, at 3:43 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 30/12/2015 9:40 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
>> [lots deleted]
>>> So I guess the question is ... why is the build process for the Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan machines still failing to produce a current (working) version of rgl?
>>
>> I think it does probably does produce a working version, but it fails the tests on that particular machine.
>>
>> I believe the problem is that the CRAN test machine uses an unusual X server.  I've asked for details on a couple of occasions so I could reproduce the error, but received no response.  I don't know if the server is buggy or rgl just fails to do some checks that are unnecessary on other servers.
>>
>> The latest error is occurring in rgl.pixels, and the underlying C++ code there is a little sloppy with type conversions (e.g. it assumes GL_FLOAT is float, which is not necessarily true), and is probably also sloppy with run-time checks.  I don't think the type sloppiness could be a cause of the error (I think it would fail for all servers if so), and I can't spot the run-time sloppiness.
>>

> Is there any way to put a ##Not run ..... ### "bracket" around that code?

Sure, I could mark those examples with \donttest{} or \dontrun{}, but
that only works around the bug in the case that it's a bug at CRAN, and
in that case, it would be better for them to update their X server.  I'd
say it's at least as likely to be a bug in the package, and removing the
tests that are failing would then be a really bad idea.

Anyone who is willing to live with the error can build rgl themselves.

Duncan Murdoch