[R-SIG-Mac] keeping two patch level releases of the same minor release installed

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Aug 18 02:50:14 CEST 2015

On Aug 17, 2015, at 6:13 PM, Gregory Jefferis <jefferis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use Rswitch in conjunction with CRAN installers to keep different minor releases series (e.g. 3.2.X vs 3.1.X) installed.
>
> Now I find that I want to install 3.2.2 and 3.2.1 at the same time, so I tried
>
>  pkgutil --forget org.r-project.R.mavericks.fw.pkg
>
> on install, but 3.2.1 disappears, presumably because the contents of /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/ looks like this:
>
> 3.1	3.2	Current
>
> Can anyone suggest an easy way to keep and switch between the patch level releases?

Idea: Install one, move it to to 3.2.1 instead of 3.2, then use --forget, install second one and move it to 3.2.2. Then always create a symlink from 3.2 to either 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 depending on what you want to use. It's the same trick as Current except one level deeper. Note that you'll still have separate package trees for better or worse. I didn't actually test it, but in principle it should work.