[R-SIG-Mac] Two UI suggestions: 1. key bindings for help-page navigation buttons; 2: increase font-size of function status bar

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Aug 15 19:27:21 CEST 2015

On Aug 15, 2015, at 6:22 AM, Tim Bates wrote:

> Hi,
> A couple of minor suggestions for the mac GUI.
>
> First, Help window back-forward buttons.
>
> Often when the user has opened help, they want to navigate back a page.
> Currently the back ( "<“  ) and forward ( “>”) buttons in the help window lack key bindings. So one has to use the mouse to navigate forward and back.

On my machine OSX 10.7.5 with SL-vers of R 3.2.1, R.app GUI 1.66 (6956), the cmd-right-arrow and the cmd left arrow give forward and back behavior in the help page display. I see little value in assigning this also or instead of the current behavior. I discovered this by trial and error so it might be worth documenting in the OSX-FAQ document, although it seemed pretty intuitive and was the first thing I tried after seeing this request. (It's how Firefox is configured.)

David.