[R-SIG-Mac] Problems to install a package

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 10:58:17 CEST 2015

[Heavy trimming applied.]

On 04 Aug 2015, at 10:34 , Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 04/08/2015 08:57, peter dalgaard wrote:
>>

>> Users who want to compile Fortran from source therefore get binaries for
>>    gfortran-4.8, gmp, mpfr from r.research.att.com
>> This combination is broken on C2D machines
>
> AFAICS you only need the binary of gfortran 4.8.0, as the gmp/mpfr libs are statically linked.

Argh, I missed that point because I went directly for a full gcc/gfortran recompile. This also means that you cannot fix Simon's gfortran-4.8 by replacing the libs, of course.

>> Result: confusion (+ for some, a welcome incentive to upgrade...)
>>
>> If the fix can be as simple as editing Makeconf for a different Fortran (F77 and FLIBS entries), we should say so somewhere.
>
> We do, at https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-patched/R-admin.html#OS-X (although that was not current on CRAN when I just looked).

OK, but it is not really an attractive solution if it only works some of the time.

>> Otherwise, I think it might be possible to "unbreak" gfortran-4.8 since the cause of the breakage is known. (I gather that it happens in something as silly as parsing floating constants in Fortran source, which at the very least can hardly be said to be a performance issue.)
>
> As we no longer support multiple sub-architectures on OS X, the Apple drivers are not needed.  I would be tempted to move to the binaries provided by François-Xavier Coudert via the GCC wiki (also mentioned in the current manual).

OK, I can try those on the laptop without too much hassle.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com