[R-SIG-Mac] R Versioning and Packages

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 15:23:43 CEST 2015

On 17/04/2015 5:54 AM, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> Since R 3.2 has been released and the Mac version should be available shortly, I always forget how the R versioning system and updates relate to installed packages. Some updates work with what you have installed, some do not.  I know if the update was to R version 4.x I would likely have to re-install packages.  Will this require reinstallation, and in general at what level of update is this the case.

In version x.y.z, you probably won't need to update if only z changes,
but you will if x or y changes, so you should update in this case.

An easy way to do this is to copy all the packages to the new
installation, then run

update.packages(checkBuilt = TRUE)

This will reinstall any packages that were built under an earlier
version of R. (I believe it ignores z in this choice.) The only
disadvantage to doing this is that you will go to the latest version of
all packages, and you might have been postponing that due to
incompatible changes.

Duncan Murdoch