[R-SIG-Mac] using package xlsx

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Wed Apr 8 23:12:09 CEST 2015

OS X Yosemite
R 3.1.3

Colleagues

I have used the package xlsx successfully in the past.  Today, I attempted to use that package, the first time since I upgraded to Yosemite.  R responded to:
	library(“xlsx”)
with
	No Java runtime present, requesting install.
A popup then said “you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime”

I updated all my packages, then I tried:
	library(“rJava”)
The outcome is the same.

I installed Java (Java 8 Update 40), then tried again.  Same problem.  I can confirm that Java is installed:
> PET633> java -version
> java version "1.8.0_40"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

It appears that the rJava wants an old version of java — however, I can’t find that version at the Oracle website.  For curiosity, I tried to install Java SE 7 — the installer would not allow this once it found the newer version (8).  This suggests that installing version 6 will also not be permitted.

Any thoughts?

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)