[R-SIG-Mac] "special" paper option of postscript device not working

Denis Chabot chabot.denis at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 19:15:26 CEST 2014

Hi,

The journal where I want to submit does not accept PDF figures, only
postscript (or bitmaps, which I want to avoid).

I want to control paper size by combining paper = "special" and "width" and
"height" parameters to the postscript command, but the resulting page is
always 8 x 11, at least as viewed with Preview and Illustrator.

This is with this code:
    postscript(file="test.ps", width=5.5, height=4.25, horizontal=T, paper
= "special")
    par(mar=c(2.8, 2.8, 1.8, 0.2)+0.1, xpd=F, mgp=c(1.5,0.5,0), cex.lab=1)

    plot(1:10)
    dev.off()

The plot occupies 1/4 of the 11x8.5 inch page.

I can live with this, but my reading of the postscript device documentation
is that width and height control the size of the paper if I also use the
page = "special" option. Because this could be the result of working on a
Mac, I write here first, but will ask on the general R Help list if this
has nothing to do with the Mac.

Thanks in advance,

Denis