[R-SIG-Mac] Failure of CLI with .Rprofile on Mac OS X

Gang Chen gangchen at mail.nih.gov
Fri Sep 19 23:01:18 CEST 2014

When R starts in GUI on my Mac OS X 10.7.5, the startup configuration in .Rprofile works fine. However, when R starts through command line interface (CLI) on the terminal , it does not work at all.

The GUI R on my Mac is aliased on the terminal to /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R while the CLI R (/usr/bin/R) is linked to /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R. There is only one .Rprofile, which resides in my home directory ~/.

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.1.0 (2014-04-10)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0 (64-bit)

What could be the cause for the failure with CLI?

Thanks,
Gang