[R-SIG-Mac] Command Line Quartz Device in Yosemite

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 15:10:03 CET 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Grant Rettke <gcr at wisdomandwonder.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Colin A. Smith <colin at colinsmith.org> wrote:
>
>> First, it seems that under Yosemite, the default device is now x11 instead of quartz.
>
> Just curious, why do you prefer the quartz device over the x11 device on OSX?
>
> Starting out with quartz, I got a lot of crashes with R from homebrew
> (15 times in a row using base plotting) and when I switched to x11 the
> crashes stopped.

That's probably just your system or homebrew R. I have been using
quartz as a default device on various machines and OSX versions for
many years now, and never had a single crash.

As for the reason, the quartz device looks *much* nicer  than the x11
device, probably because of the (better) anti-aliasing. Also, you do
not need to run an X server to use it.

Gabor