[R-SIG-Mac] problems installing gstat

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 10:23:14 CET 2014

On 29/10/2014 08:31, Raphael.Viscarra-Rossel at csiro.au wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am wondering if anyone else is having problems installing gstat in R
> 3.1.1 on yosemite (and also mavericks)?
>
> I looked for similar problems on the web but found very little on this.

You need to do this at the OS command line and look at the log, but
something is wrong with your compiler installation.

If you upgraded to Yosemite, did you re-install the Xcode command-line
tools (which the upgrade is prone to partially remove)?  See the manual:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-patched/R-admin.html#OS-X .

If that has been done, try in a Terminal

curl -O http://cran.csiro.au/src/contrib/gstat_1.0-19.tar.gz
tar xf gstat_1.0-19.tar.gz
R CMD INSTALL gstat

and look at gstat/config.log .  (This assumes you have the dependencies
installed, but that seems to be the case.)

Note to the gstat maintainer: you should not be checking for gcc.  From
'Writing R Extensions'

CC=`"${R_HOME}/bin/R" CMD config CC`
CFLAGS=`"${R_HOME}/bin/R" CMD config CFLAGS`
CPPFLAGS=`"${R_HOME}/bin/R" CMD config CPPFLAGS`

should be added early in configure.in .  OS X usually does have a 'gcc'
command, but it is really clang, and 'gcc' is not correct on other OSes.