[R-SIG-Mac] Yosemite and R

Amos B. Elberg amos.elberg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 18:39:39 CEST 2014

If the full environment isn’t getting passed to R-spawned sub-processes, that might explain an error I’ve been having since the update:  when R is launched from the command line, calls that should create an X11 window in the background fail unless an X11 window has already been created with the width and height specified:

> plot(rnorm(100))
Error in .External2(C_X11, d$display, d$width, d$height, d$pointsize,  :
  invalid 'width' or 'height'
> X11()
Error in .External2(C_X11, d$display, d$width, d$height, d$pointsize,  :
  invalid 'width' or 'height'
> X11(width = 5, height = 5)
> plot(rnorm(100))
[now it  works - and any number of additional windows can be spawned without repeating the error]
[quitting R and reopening, without quitting XQuartz, and I get the same error calling plot() before X11(width = , height = )

This does not happen in RStudio.  I don’t use the R.app gui; I opened it just now to test and I got a slew of path-related errors, but they’re as likely to have to do with my not-maintained R.app as with anything else.

I had not reported this already because I wasn’t confident whether its a yosemite issue, an R-patched issue, or just something odd in the way I built R.

If incomplete-environment-passing is the new normal, is this not going to be a common issue for packages that spawn sub-processes?

From: Hadley Wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com>
Reply: Hadley Wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com>>
Date: October 21, 2014 at 10:12:13 AM
To: David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net>>
Cc: r-sig-mac <r-sig-mac at r-project.org>>, Spencer Mass <masss at newpaltz.edu>>
Subject:  Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Yosemite and R

> No, it is not. It is expected that the path in the terminal be
> different to the path in R, it is _not_ expected that the path in R be
> different to the path in a subprocess started by R.
>
> (Well it is now expected, because this appears to be a new security
> feature in Yosemite)

The best thread I could find on the problem is here:
https://code.google.com/p/mactlmgr/issues/detail?id=102

--
http://had.co.nz/