[R-SIG-Mac] Yosemite and R

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 23:01:17 CEST 2014

On Oct 20, 2014, at 8:21 AM, Hadley Wickham wrote:

>> I have been running Yosemite for quite a while and didn't see any issues so far. Given how little changed in Yosemite I don't expect any changes to the Mavericks build at this point (i.e. Mavericks will remain the base target for all recent OS X builds).
>
> At RStudio, we've seen one problem - the PATH is not passed along to
> sub-processes, e.g. these two functions return different values:
>
> Sys.getenv("PATH")
> system("echo $PATH")

I seem to remember discussions on R-SIG-Mac that system("echo $PATH") gets passed to the bash environment which is not the same as the R environment. It is expected that the $PATH variable is different in the two environments.

From terminal window in Mac 10.7.5 (Lion):

david-winsemiuss-mac-pro:~ davidwinsemius$ /usr/bin/which which
/sw/bin/which

From R (Snow Leopard) on a MacPro:

> Sys.which("which")
          which
"/sw/bin/which"

On a laptop running 3.1.1 in Yosemite with the Mavericks build I get instead:

Sys.which("which")
"usr/bin/which"

And from the terminal I see

/sw/bin/which

> This breaks Sys.which().

Not sure what "breaks" means. I'm not getting an error, and I wasn't necessarily expecting the same result

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA