[R-SIG-Mac] Compiler options for R binary

Braun, Michael braunm at mail.smu.edu
Sat Nov 22 19:27:41 CET 2014

Thank you for all of the helpful replies.  I think I’ll go back to using the CRAN binary, and still link to an external BLAS.

I do have some follow-up questions:

1.  Section 10.5 of the R for Mac FAQ suggests that there is a libRblas.veclib.dylib in the Resources/lib directory.  I do not see that after installing the binary for R 3.1.2.  I can still link to the Apple vecLib (/System/Library/Accelerate …./libBLAS.dylib --  it’s a very long path), but there appears to be an inconsistency between the CRAN build and the FAQ.

2.  Simon mentioned Intel OpenMP runtime, and enabling R threading support.  Is this something that can be done at the user level (like pointing to a different BLAS), or is it something that needs to be built in to the binary?

3.  Just out of curiosity, what are the operations that slow down with AVX?  Someday, when I have some free time, I may want to check that out, mainly as a learning experience.