[R-SIG-Mac] upgrade to Mavericks

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 17:17:21 CET 2014

On 28 Mar 2014, at 15:54 , Richard M. Heiberger <rmh at temple.edu> wrote:

> Apple has been popping an offer for a free upgrade to Mavericks.
> (I currently have OS X Lion10.7.5 on an 8GB MacBook Air).
> Other than this offer from Apple, I have no dissatisfaction with the Mac
> for my use pattern.
>
> There has been much comment on this list about the difficulties of
> compiling R with Mac.
> I am not planning to compile R.
>
> Are there any remaining issues with using R on the Mac that should make
> we want to not upgrade?  Or is Mavericks now stable enough that upgrading
> would make sense.

If I hadn't already done it, I'd wait until they get the Mail app sorted out. There are issues that are quite annoying if you're dealing with Exchange and Gmail backends. There's said to be improvements in 10.9.3, which has been right around the corner for more than a month. (Before that, it was in 10.9.2 beta with a release right around the corner, but then there was the emergency security fix.)

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com