[R-SIG-Mac] R 3.0.2/3.0.3 source install problems on OS X 10.9.2

Bryan Renne brenne at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:04:24 CET 2014

Dear Brian:

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 11/03/2014 07:40, Berend Hasselman wrote:
>>

>> On 11-03-2014, at 05:32, Bryan Renne <brenne at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Simon:

>>> That's it!  I can't believe you noticed that.  Thank you so much for your
>>> help.
>>>
>>> I had executed "export TEMPDIR=." for some other program (I think
>>> latex2html?) that requires some non-null setting and, after clearing
>>> this setting so that TEMPDIR is unset, the installation of recommended
>>> packages completed and the make script finished without errors.  Looks
>>> like an absolute path should be used as you suggest.
>>>

>> Isn't TMPDIR set automatically by OS X?
>> I've never seen it to be null on my machines.
>

> Yes, but you can reset it (and sometimes it is necessary because of its
> length or the non-alphanumeric characters Apple used to put in it).
>
> What puzzles me is that TEMPDIR (with an E) is ever used: it is not used by
> R.

Yes, you're right, it was TMPDIR (without an E) that caused the
problem.  The extra E I entered in the variable name in my previous
message was a typo.

And indeed, I had set TMPDIR in my .profile (for bash) because
latex2html would for some reason not work without me setting a value
for this explicitly.  I think I first chose the value of TMPDIR=.
based on this page (under the section title "Documentation"):

https://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/bibtex2html/

Take care.