[R-SIG-Mac] R 3.0.2/3.0.3 source install problems on OS X 10.9.2

Bryan Renne brenne at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 05:32:05 CET 2014

Dear Simon:

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> Bryan,
>
> based on the gist output I think I have a candidate - please check that you're not re-defining TMP or TMPDIR to a relative path - that would break pretty much anything. Check with
>
> set | grep 'T*MP'
>
> This must be either undefined or the paths *must* be absolute, i.e. start with a slash /
>
> Other replies below, but I think the above may be the main issue.

That's it!  I can't believe you noticed that.  Thank you so much for your help.

I had executed "export TEMPDIR=." for some other program (I think
latex2html?) that requires some non-null setting and, after clearing
this setting so that TEMPDIR is unset, the installation of recommended
packages completed and the make script finished without errors.  Looks
like an absolute path should be used as you suggest.

Problem solved.  Thank you so much for your help with this.

> On Mar 10, 2014, at 12:53 AM, Bryan Renne <brenne at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Simon.  Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Simon Urbanek
>> <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>>> Bryan,

>>> It *is* as you even point yourself further down. It doesn't occur on a clean OS X system.
>>
>> OK, so to rule out any possible homebrew issues, I used the homebrew
>> uninstall script to delete homebrew and all homebrew-installed stuff
>> (https://gist.github.com/mxcl/1173223).  This script wipes the system
>> clean of homebrew.
>>

> Thanks, it would be sufficient to just rename /usr/local and re-install the gfortran from CRAN.
>
> I cannot reproduce the issue with exactly your settings on a clean machine, so it must be some custom configuration of yours. I suspect you may have set TMP/TMPDIR to . which is invalid - please check.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon

Acknowledged.  Will take the point about /usr/local under advisement
going forward.

Thank you again for your time.