[R-SIG-Mac] Suggested New Mac for Heavy R Use

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Mon Mar 10 18:09:18 CET 2014

Nick <franken_beans2000 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Good afternoon, I am looking at buying my first Mac and thought i'd
> ask for advice for what I should get. I have it down to the two models
> below (but am open to realistic suggestions).
>
> I will primarily be using R for machine learning packages, and the
> data sets are very large. If any other specs are needed let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance.

- 13 inch is quite small - I would go for the 15-inch

- 128GB SSD is to small - at least in my experience. I have 256 GB and
this works, but only 35 GB free - so I have a second USB3 HDD for
additional data

- 8GB RAM is fine

I have the MacBookPro 10,1 Retina, 8GB memory and the 256 GB SSD drive -
with Intel Core i7

I really like this machine

The cores do make a difference.

Cheers,