[R-SIG-Mac] R 3.0.2/3.0.3 source install problems on OS X 10.9.2

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 11:31:10 CET 2014

On 09 Mar 2014, at 00:21 , Bryan Renne <brenne at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there.  I am having compilation problems with R 3.0.2 (and R 3.0.3) on
> OS X 10.9.2.

On homebrew.... (Would have been useful to say up front.)

>  Everything seems to work up to the installation of
> recommended R packages.  At that point, the make fails.  In particular,
> after running "R CMD INSTALL MASS.tgz" (directly or the essentially
> equivalent but multi-optioned version that is run via the Makefile), I end
> up with the following fatal error:
>
> Warning in read.dcf(fd <- file.path(pkg, "DESCRIPTION")) :
>>  cannot open compressed file
>> './RtmpeHPfcG/R.INSTALLb9055b3c3f45/MASS/DESCRIPTION', probable reason 'No
>> such file or directory'
>> Error: error reading file
>> './RtmpeHPfcG/R.INSTALLb9055b3c3f45/MASS/DESCRIPTION'
>

> For more detailed output of "configure" and "make" please see the output
> from these failed homebrew installations (which are essentially identical
> with what I get when I try to install from CRAN-provided source):
>
> for R 3.0.2:  https://gist.github.com/bprenne/8626679
>
> for R 3.0.3:  https://gist.github.com/bprenne/9405569
>
> Someone on the homebrew team recommended I contact people via an R list (
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/issues/640), so here I am.
>
> I also tried setting R_INSTALL_TAR to the system tar or to a
> homebrew-installed gnutar.  Neither helped.
>
> Any suggestions on how I might proceed?

Hmm, difficult to tell. If push comes to shove, you could try getting more info out of the INSTALL process (inject a debug(tools:::.install_packages), I suppose, but it is a bit beyond me currently). But first, I'd check what Makeconf sets the TAR variable to.

-pd