[R-SIG-Mac] making R.app and home-brew live happily together

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Mar 5 15:53:12 CET 2014

On Mar 5, 2014, at 9:24 AM, Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2014, at 8:04 AM, Federico Calboli <f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 4 Mar 2014, at 18:41, Davor Cubranic <cubranic at stat.ubc.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> If you don’t care about Tcl/Tk, you could also install R without it. Just choose “Customize” in the installer and unselect it.
> >
> > isn’t there a different tcl/tk framework that one can use anyway?  I’m referring to the active state one (http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads)
> >

> No, because it doesn't work with R.app since that Tcl/Tk build assumes it's controlling the application and system event loop.
>
> Is this also true the other way? I mean, does the R Tcl/Tk work with other OSX apps that need Tcl/Tk?

AFAIK, yes. It's the native Tcl/Tk port that causes issues. However, for pure Tcl/Tk apps users may prefer the native look to X11.

> Gabor, another person annoyed by R and homebrew not playing well together.....

I just checked, and homebrew proper doesn't even provide Tcl/Tk so it seems like this is not really an issue at all. Even the dupes version installs in a hidden location so it doesn't clash. Homebrew typically tries not to mess up the system so it was historically working along with R very well. So do you have some evidence for them not playing well together? I know MacPorts and Fink were disasters, but Homebrew has so far tried to learn from their mistakes.