[R-SIG-Mac] Mavericks/Snow Leopard package incompatibilities

Brian Diggs brian.s.diggs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 00:19:01 CEST 2014

I've seen a few messages about incompatibilities between the Mavericks
and Snow Leopard builds of R. They have different binary build types and
packages built for one can not be used for the other.

It occurs to me that it would be helpful if R would report when a
mismatch happens between the version of R running and the version of R a
package is compiled for. Looking at testPlatformEquivalence in library.R
(in base), it appears this is the right place for this check to be made.
However, I don't readily understand exactly what might be passed to that
function or what the specific differences are in the version strings for
these two build.

Does having this checked automatically seem like a good idea? If so, can
someone who understands the finer points of the version strings make the
proper enhancement?

--
Brian S. Diggs, PhD
Senior Research Associate, Department of Surgery