[R-SIG-Mac] Unable to install R-2.11.1.pkg and up to R-3.0.2 in Mac OSX 10.8.5

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jan 24 17:19:48 CET 2014

Luis,

On Jan 20, 2014, at 3:53 PM, LUIS VELO <luisvelo1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear People
>
> I have an iMac 2013 with a Fusion Drive and OSX 10.8.5. No plans to migrate to Mavericks yet.
>
> I have had issues also with x11 that I've solved with a "direct" install:
>
> installer -pkg ~/Desktop/XQuartz.pkg -target / -allowUntrusted -store
>
> But, when I try to install R-2.11.1 and above (I'm using R-2.10.1, and works well ;) ) I get the following message from the installer:
>
> R 3.0.2 for Mac OS X 10.6 or higher (Snow Leopard build) can't be installed on this disk.
> This build of R requires MAC OS X 10.6 or higher.
>
> If I try from the Terminal
>
> sudo installer -pkg ~/Desktop/R-3.0.2.pkg -target /
>
> or:
> sudo -s
> installer -verbose -pkg ~/Desktop/R-3.0.2.pkg -target /
>
> I receive this output from terminal:
>
> installer: Cannot install on volume / because it is disabled.
> installer: This build of R requires Mac OS X 10.6 or higher
>
> And it fails.
> What can I do? Delete some plist? Regenerate something? Reinstall Mountain Lion? I really prefer to not to have to rebuild from source.

What the above says is that the Apple Installer doesn't recognize the system on the drive you are installing to as OS X 10.6.0 or higher.
We don't control how the Installer determines the version, but typically it is stored in

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

On 10.8.5 you should see

$ cat /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
	<string>12F45</string>
	<key>ProductCopyright</key>
	<string>1983-2013 Apple Inc.</string>
	<key>ProductName</key>
	<string>Mac OS X</string>
	<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>
	<string>10.8.5</string>
	<key>ProductVersion</key>
	<string>10.8.5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

If in doubt please have a look at the Installer log (enable all logs, not just errors) as you are installing R - it may possibly give some clue.

Thanks,
Simon