[R-SIG-Mac] My first package

Matthew Denwood Matthew.Denwood at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Jan 20 12:11:27 CET 2014

On 20 Jan 2014, at 09:31, Federico Calboli <f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 18 Jan 2014, at 14:31, Axel Urbiz <axel.urbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> I'm planning to submit my first package to R, and although I read all the
>> documentation, I'm not very clear on the following 2 items, from which I'd
>> appreciate your guidance:
>>

>> 1)I understand it is suggested to use the R dev version to build the
>> package.
>
> Is it?  this is news to me.  I have a grand total of 2 packages up and I never ever used R-devel, and never ever had a problem, had a report of a problem or had a note from CRAn about my packages not being ok because I built them with R-relase (or whatever it might be called) and not R-devel.

I also build my packages on the release version of R, but I do always first upload to the frankly invaluable win-builder service at http://win-builder.r-project.org  - this is mainly to check compatibility/issues under Windows (of which there are frequently several), but also checks for problems against R-devel (of which I don't think I've ever had any).  It is also very worthwhile checking the check logs for the current versions of your package on CRAN, as there are often minor issues identified on other systems (particularly solaris).

Cheers,

Matt