[R-SIG-Mac] compile R on Mac OS 10.9.4 with cairo support

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at openanalytics.eu
Sat Aug 23 17:43:19 CEST 2014

Dear list,

I'm trying to compile R from source on Mac OS 10.9.4 using the flags from

https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/QA/Simon/R-build/conf.mavericks-x86_64

I untarred the following libraries from http://r.research.att.com/libs/

gfortran-4.8.2-darwin13.tar.bz2
tcl8.6.0-darwin10-x86_64.tar.gz
tk8.6.0-darwin10-x86_64.tar.gz
freetype-2.5.3-darwin10-bin2.tar.gz
pkg-config-0.25-darwin9-bin3.tar.gz
fontconfig-2.11.1-darwin10-bin2.tar.gz
fontconfig-2.11.1-add.tar.gz
cairo-1.12.16-darwin10-bin2.tar.gz
jpeg-v8d-darwin9-bin4.tar.gz
libpng-1.5.18-darwin10-bin2.tar.gz
tiff-4.0.3-darwin10-bin2.tar.gz
pixman-0.32.4-darwin10-bin2.tar.gz
xz-5.0.5-darwin10-bin2.tar.gz

Then I applied the patch from http://r.research.att.com/libs/cairo-1.12.16-darwin13-static-pkgconfig.patch using

cd /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
sudo curl -O http://r.research.att.com/libs/cairo-1.12.16-darwin13-static-pkgconfig.patch
sudo patch < cairo-1.12.16-darwin13-static-pkgconfig.patch

Some patches are rejected and the resulting 'fontconfig.pc.rej' looks as follows:

***************
*** 13,18 ****
  Version: 2.11.0
  Requires:  freetype2
  Requires.private:  libxml-2.0
- Libs: -L${libdir} -lfontconfig
- Libs.private:  -L/usr/local/lib -lfreetype    -lxml2
  Cflags: -I${includedir}  -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include/libpng15    -I/usr/include/libxml2
--- 13,18 ----
  Version: 2.11.0
  Requires:  freetype2
  Requires.private:  libxml-2.0
+ Libs: /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.a
+ Libs.private:  /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a -lxml2
  Cflags: -I${includedir}  -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include/libpng15    -I/usr/include/libxml2

Compilation itself goes fine, but I do not succeed in getting proper cairo support.

The config.log has the following:

checking whether pkg-config knows about cairo... yes
Package libxml-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libxml-2.0.pc'
Package 'libxml-2.0', required by 'Fontconfig', not found
Package libxml-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libxml-2.0.pc'
Package 'libxml-2.0', required by 'Fontconfig', not found
Package libxml-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libxml-2.0.pc'
Package 'libxml-2.0', required by 'Fontconfig', not found
Package libxml-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libxml-2.0.pc'
Package 'libxml-2.0', required by 'Fontconfig', not found
checking whether cairo is >= 1.2 and works... no

Executing

sudo find / -name libxml-2.0.pc

does not give any results.

I must have overlooked something. Is there other information I can provide?

Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

Best,
Tobias