[R-SIG-Mac] rgdal on mac os 10.9

Ian Fellows ian.fellows at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 30 18:42:24 CEST 2014

Thanks for the replies everyone,

@Simon: Thank you. That will be most useful, especially for those of us with dependent packages and (shall we say) a less sophisticated user base.

@Brian: Thank you for pointing that out, though I think “ignored" is a inappropriate word. My main concern is not for myself (I can certainly figure out how to build and install rgdal and its dependancies), but for the users of my packages that depend on rgdal.

It is good to hear that the snow leapord binaries work. I was a little hesitant to use them as your linked e-mail lists rgdal in both the “it’s okay to use the binaries” category, and the “it’s missing for good reason” category so I wasn’t entirely sure if a subtle binary incompatibility might crop up.

@BABA and @Rainer: I’ve had (let’s say) mixed success with fink and homebrew. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Best,
Ian

p.s. For reference, you can install rgdal from the snow leapord repo with:

download.file("http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/contrib/3.1/rgdal_0.8-16.tgz","rgdal_0.8-16.tgz”)
install.packages("sp”)
install.packages("rgdal_0.8-16.tgz",.libPaths()[1],NULL)