[R-SIG-Mac] rgdal on mac os 10.9

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 17:42:34 CEST 2014

On 30/04/2014 13:56, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> If I remember correctly, the installation from source was quite easy:
> apart from the usual compilers, you need gdal installed, which installs
> easily via homebrew [1]. After this, installation of rgdal from source
> worked without any additional configurations?

No, not really.

1) for a portable package you will need static GDAL.

2) GDAL can make use of a wide range of external software to read raster
files: without quite a lot of the optional ones it is not much use for
rgdal and other R packages.  Simon needs to build that for Mavericks,
and statically too.

However, Fellows has ignored all the advice to use the Snow Leopard
package of R 3.1.0 if he wants rgdal.  That is in the current manual
(http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-patched/R-admin.html#Installing-R-under-OS-X)
and was posted to this list recently
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2014-April/010835.html).  That
is by far the easiest solution.