[R-SIG-Mac] upgrade to Mavericks

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Fri Apr 25 05:15:24 CEST 2014

Thank you to all who replied.

I did accept the upgrade to Mavericks last week.  In retrospect I think it
was a mistake for me.  Most of the changes are not relevant to my
workflow.  One was an improvement.  One was a big negative.

The improvement is the handling of a secondary display screen.
The Desktop on that screen is now independent of the Desktops on the main
screen.  The Desktop on the secondary screen is retained when I unplug the
secondary screen and then plug it back in.

There are two big negatives is how Preview handles revision to my
pdflatex documents.

Previously (OS X Lion), when I ran pdflatex, the pdf file was revised with
the display showing the same page and the same positioning on the page.
Now (Mavericks) the display jumps to the top left corner of the current page.
Since I keep the window focussed only on the part of the page with text,
that means the top and left margins dominate the new display.  My
workaround is to construct an if statement that sets the margins to 0
when I am in revision mode and gives them normal values otherwise.

The other negative is that yellow stickies now appear in a Comic font instead
of a sedate font.  Also, the alignment between the left marginal column of
yellow stickies and their location in the body of the document is broken.
clicking on the page number in the marginal listing moves the document
to the right page.  But clicking on the sticky itself does not move the marginal
listing to the matching sticky.

An even more serious problem, and I don't know if this is Mavericks-specific
or more general to OS X, is that several R packages no longer work with
the released R-3.1.0.  As of ":Last updated on 2014-04-25 04:47:05.",
latticeExtra gives an error with r-devel-osx-x86_64-gcc and a warning with
r-release-osx-x86_64-mavericks.

I reverted back to R-3.0.3.  I will try again with the R-patched when CRAN
shows all the packages I use are checking without warnings.

Rich