[R-SIG-Mac] R-SIG-Mac Digest, Vol 134, Issue 15

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Apr 16 16:33:45 CEST 2014

On Apr 16, 2014, at 10:21 AM, Blair Christian <blair.christian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We use "R CMD Sweave" in our reporting workflow and we also call
> "sweave()" interactively or via ESS (depending on who you talk to).  I
> didn't notice the bug until we changed a dev machine's ubuntu R
> repository from the standard ubuntu repository which provides R (3.0.1
> a couple weeks ago?) to the cran repository mirror which upgraded us
> to the 3.1 beta.
> http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
>
> My vote is to keep the R CMD Sweave functionality.
>
> What is considered the appropriate pre-release version to test?
> (I think part of this question is answered in section 1.2 of R-admin
> documentation, http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.pdf
> )  [Actually it is r-devel]
>
> "The alpha, beta and RC versions of an upcoming x.y.0 release are available from
>https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-x-y-branch/’ in the four-week
> period prior to
> the release"
> It looks like proposed release dates are on:
> http://developer.r-project.org/
>
> However, if we find issues, what is the appropriate way to browse
> current dev issues to see if something is reported already?  (A
> friendly link to the friendly documentation would be helpful if it's
> out there).  One reason I didn't report the issue when I found it was
> that it was not 100% clear to me where the appropriate place to report
> it was (another was that I didn't have time to create a small, clean
> reproducible version of the bug).  I have worked with systems like
> JIRA in the past, and the ability to have bug reports with links to
> the patched version correcting the bug was really nice.  What is the R
> equivalent here to check and see if a bug has been reported, in
> progress, or fixed (eg location which shows the R-patched version to
> upgrade to)?
>
> The best I can find there is to either look at the RSS feed or look at
> the svn log for the last k days, eg
> http://developer.r-project.org/RSSfeeds.html
> svn log -v -r HEAD:\{`date +%Y-%m-%d -d'k days ago'`\}
> https://svn.r-project.org/R
> depending on the granularity you want?
>
> Is that about right, or am I totally missing some key pieces of information?

If you found bug, report it on
bugs.r-project.org
It's really that simple, no need to link anything special. If the bug is already reported, you'll also find it there - along with the info whether it has been fixed or not. There is normally no "in progress" sate - it's report -> confirm -> fix or reject and the last two are typically one step - pretty simple no magic.