[R-SIG-Mac] [Rd] R 3.1.0: 'R CMD Sweave' deletes non tex files created upon batch mode exit

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:14:55 CEST 2014

On 14/04/2014, 10:23 AM, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for your confirmation on this.
>
> I normally do not use R CMD Sweave, as I too run under ESS in normal day to day operations. This finding was a quirk of having a particular Rnw document that I occasionally run using R CMD Sweave and I had done so over the weekend, realizing this behavior.

This sounds like an argument for dropping R CMD Sweave, rather than
fixing it.  The bug was introduced in July, 2013, and nobody noticed it
because so few people use that feature, and apparently nobody who does
use it bothers to test pre-release versions.

Duncan Murdoch

> Thanks again.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

>> [on the R-SIG-Mac  mailing list] :
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> With R version 3.1.0 on OSX, using either the Snow Leopard or the Mavericks binary installation on a Mac with fully updated Mavericks, there has been a change in behavior since 3.0.3.
>>
>> I've just written to R-core about this:
>>
>>     R CMD Sweave
>>
>> has *serious* problems also in the very simple case when it
>> should produce figures: They are not available after the
>> completion of R CMD Sweave,
>> confirming your  'deletes non tex files created upon batch mode exit'
>>
>> So this is not related to OSX only, but also a big problem
>> at least on other *nix descendent platforms, such as Linux.
>>
>> In short, failure (no graphic produce in the example below) by
>>
>>    R CMD Sweave foo.Rnw
>>
>> but all is fine with using Sweave(), as you Marc, noted, and hence with
>>
>>    Rscript -e 'Sweave("foo.Rnw")'
>>
>> ... and to answer your question:
>> No this was not intended and is probably one of the bigger /
>> most embarrassing bugs in a newly released version of R
>> in my view:
>>
>> Basically  'R CMD Sweave' is partly broken in R 3.1.0.
>> Yes, this should never have happened.
>>
>> I had to partially revert the R 3.1.0 installation here (our
>> statistics dept), by making R 3.0.3 the default 'R'
>> for now, as we are relying on 'R CMD Sweave ..' in many places.
>>
>> Personally I've never noticed the problem, as I seem to always
>> Sweave from ESS (Emacs speaks statistics) which calls  Sweave()
>> in R, and that works fine, also in  R 3.1.0, as you've already
>> noted
>>
>> Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich
>>
>> %------------------------------------------------------------
>> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>> \usepackage{Sweave}
>> \begin{document}  Just a simple graphic
>>
>> <<qqnorm, fig=TRUE>>=
>> qqnorm(rnorm(20))
>> @
>>
>> and that's all, folks!
>> \end{document}
>>
>>> I have a master .Rnw file which runs a series of outputs from multiple R code files, each called in BATCH mode using system() from within the master .Rnw file. The output of the R code files go to separate text files in order to catch some of the function call output that would not otherwise be included in the resultant .tex file due to output redirection.
>>
>>> Those text files are then included in the resultant .tex file using, for example:
>>
>>> \lstinputlisting[caption={}]{test.out}
>>
>>> directives which are included in the .Rnw source file.
>>
>>> A simple example to replicate the observed behaviors.

> [...]
>>> options(useFancyQuotes = FALSE)