[R-SIG-Mac] Missing binary packages for Mavericks (lme4)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Apr 11 16:43:31 CEST 2014

On Apr 11, 2014, at 12:54 AM, Jeroen Ooms <jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Running update.packages on R 3.1 for Mavericks complains that some
> CRAN packages do not have binary builds available. For example lme4 is
> missing from http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/mavericks/contrib/3.1/.
>
> Is there any reason for this,

Yes, only packages that pass make check are present.

> or do I just need some patience? I installed lme4 from source and it seems to build without problems.

It fails make check with

* checking for unstated dependencies in tests ... OK
* checking tests ... ERROR
Running the tests in ‘tests/priorWeights.R’ failed.
Last 13 lines of output:
  > sleepLmer <- lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (Days|Subject),
  +                   sleepstudy, weights = w,
  +                   REML = FALSE)
  > sleepComp <- compFunc(sleepLme, sleepLmer)
  > stopifnot(do.call(all.equal, sleepComp))
  > ## look at relative differences:
  > sleepComp$tolerance <- 0
  > do.call(all.equal, sleepComp)
  [1] "Mean relative difference: 0.000818191"

  > library(mlmRev)
  Error in library(mlmRev) : there is no package called 'mlmRev'
  Execution halted
* elapsed time (check, wall clock): 7:57

However, mlmRev itself depends on lme4, so it's not available. It seems like a bug in the tests which should not fail if mlmRev is not available since it's only suggested, not required.