[R-SIG-Mac] similar problems installing Rcmdr with R.

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Sep 25 17:26:46 CEST 2013

On 09/24/2013 07:57 PM, John Fox wrote:
> Hi Rodney,
>
> I've added a section on "Mac OS X Trouble-shooting" to the Rcmdr
> installation notes at
> <http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html>,
> with explicit instructions on the recent problems experienced by Sarah and
> Mark. I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at this to see whether the
> instructions are clear. Also, are there other cases that I should cover?
>
> Thanks,
>   John

Hi John:

It looks pretty good to me; lot's of useful info.  I see that you have
sudo chmod -R a+rX /usr/local
as has been suggested.  It definitely makes sense; why have
/usr/local if no one can actually do anything with it?  However,
we are doing a bit more than fixing this issue at hand.  What if you
said it this way?

Having confirmed the problem, you can change the file permissions in
/usr/local/lib by opening a terminal window on your Mac (Terminal.app is
in the Applications Utilities folder) and entering the following command
at the $ prompt in the terminal window:

         sudo chmod -R a+rX /usr/local/lib

     The operating system will ask you to supply your password to
execute this command.

File-permissions problems such as this may also occur
when you attempt to install other R packages.  In that case, you
might consider performing the same operation on the directories
/usr/local/bin and/or /usr/local/include.  Since there is not
much point having /usr/local if no one can actually use it, then
you might consider altering the entire /usr/local hierarchy:

         sudo chmod -R a+rX /usr/local

But, now we have traveled pretty far afield from just Rcmdr...

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD
Manager of Statistical & Computational Operations