[R-SIG-Mac] Problems loading Rcmdr on a Mac 10.7.2 and a Mac 10.6.8

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 19 21:17:03 CEST 2013

Dear Simon,

That's a good suggestion. In fact, I don't see a real function for the
technical details, so I've just eliminated them. I also think that adding
the step to run Software Update is harmless and a good idea, so I've added
that. The full set of instructions (including the parts that I omitted
earlier) now reads:

----------------- snip -------------

These instructions are for R version 3.0.1 or later; if you're using an
earlier version of R, I suggest that you upgrade, or, failing that, consult
the special Mac OS X installation notes for the R Commander under older
versions of R. R 3.0.1 only supports Mac OS X version 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
or greater.

O Before installing R and the R Commander, make sure that your Mac OS X
system is up-to-date by running Software Update from the "apple" menu at the
top-left of the screen. This is important, because R assumes that the system
is up-to-date and may not function properly if it is not.

O Install R 3.0.1 or later from the Comprehensive R Archive Network (CRAN),
selecting a mirror site near you; a list of CRAN mirrors appears at the
upper left of the CRAN home page.

O Install XQuartz from http://xquartz.macosforge.org. (The R Commander uses
the tcltk package for R, which requires X-Windows. Your Mac may already have
X-Windows installed, but it should not hurt in any event to install
XQuartz.)

O Start R by running R.app. At the R > command prompt, type the following
command and press the return key (to avoid errors, you can copy the command
from this document and paste it at the R > command prompt):

	install.packages("Rcmdr")

R will ask you to select a CRAN mirror; pick a mirror site near you.

O Once it is installed, to load the Rcmdr package, simply issue the command

	library(Rcmdr)

at the R > command prompt and press return. When you first load the Rcmdr
package, it will offer to download and install missing dependencies; allow
it to do so.

There's no need to respond again if you think these instructions are OK.

Thanks again,
 John