[R-SIG-Mac] Problems loading Rcmdr on a Mac 10.7.2 and a Mac 10.6.8

Simon Urbanek urbanek at research.att.com
Thu Sep 19 15:24:38 CEST 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 9:05 AM, John Fox wrote:

> Dear David,
>
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 01:04:18 -0700
> David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 18, 2013, at 8:47 PM, John Fox wrote:
>>

> . . .
>
>>> It also seems apparent from the error message that there's a mismatch between the version of Tcl/Tk, presumably the one supplied with the R distribution, and the version of X-Windows.
>>
>> That is not what I am reading. libfreetype.6 version 13 is the reported problem with  a need to update to version 14.
>>

> Do you know where libfreetype.6 comes from? Is it installed independently of Tcl/Tk and XQuartz? If so, do you know how to update it?
>
> . . .
>
>> I'm not really a student but maybe this will be useful anyway. There is a version of Tk at:
>>
>> http://r.research.att.com/src/tk8.6.0-src.tar.gz
>>
>> ... which appears to be the most up-to-date version. I'm actually running version 8.5 with OSX 10.7.5
>>

> Version 8.6-0 of Tcl/Tk for X-Windows is included in the R 3.0.1 installer for Mac OS X. Is it possible that it doesn't get installed if there's already a Tcl/Tk for X-Windows installed?
>
> . . .
>

>> The error message below says that libfreetype.6 is an old version and that you need version 14.0 for libtk8.6
>>
>> From Unix cmd line:
>>
>> otool -L /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
>>
>> # ---- reports ___________
>> /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib:
>> 	/opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 16.0.0, current version 16.0.0)
>> 	/opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.7)
>> 	/opt/local/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.6)
>> 	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.11)
>>

> So tcltk and the Rcmdr 2.0-0 work on your system because you have a sufficiently up-to-date libfreetype.6. It would be additionally helpful to be able to answer the following questions:
>
> (1) Why is it that some users have old versions of libfreetype.6.

guess: they don't use Software Update and thus have outdated system libraries

> (2) Why doesn't installing the newest versions of R (which includes Tcl/Tk) and XQuartz, not solve this problem?

guess: they are running an older version or didn't install R properly from the CRAN package

> (3) What can users experiencing this problem do to fix it?

Run Software Update for (1) , re-install R for (2)?

We have only 3rd hand report here so we're reduced to guessing so far. As I said, one important thing is that we uses system X11 and not XQuartz so installing XQuartz has no effect if there is a system X11 installed. However, on an up-todate system there should be no problems.