[R-SIG-Mac] [Caution: Message contains Suspicious URL content] R 3.0.1 build from sources: Wrong library paths

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 13 10:52:02 CEST 2013

On 13/09/2013 07:52, Anirban MUKHERJEE wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On a related note, there has been progress on openmp in llvm/clang:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ0NjQ
>
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2013-August/065169.html
>
> http://clang-omp.github.io/
>
> That might be an alternative route to consider if needed. Clang (I have not openmp/clang) usually builds easily on Mac OS.

We know (I believe it has been mentioned here before).  But please
remember that only the Apple clang is easy to use (does your self-build
compile the quartz device? -- mine did not), and Apple lags a long way
behind.  The current Xcode version says it is '3.2svn' but lacks even
3.1 features such as AddressSanitizer.  We will see what Xcode 5 brings
when it is released.

I don't think people appreciated Simon's comments about the stability
needed.  If you can check all of CRAN with no more than 10 issues with
gcc 4.7 or 4.8, then let us know.  That is about where we are with
llvm-gcc 4.2 and clang 3.2- from Xcode 4.6.3.  When I tried 4.7.x prior
to R 3.0.0 I had over 50 failures (and CRAN is reqularly checked with
4.7.x on other platforms).

And we are only in that good a state because a lot of (literally)
thankless work has been done to get CRAN/BioC packages to compile with
clang.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk