[R-SIG-Mac] R on Mac: framework or homebrew?

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Thu Sep 12 18:15:09 CEST 2013

I've been using R on OS X probably ever since there was an R on OS X, and
like you I use it from the command line. In the early days I installed R
from sources, but quite a few years ago I switched to using the framework
version. I can't think of any disadvantage I've encountered.

If I were to not use the framework version, I think I would prefer to
install directly from sources, not use a package management system. There
might be more initial work installing various prerequisites (things like
tcl/tk, png, maybe readline, who knows what all) but it would probably be
better in the long run.

Some packages, such as a number of spatial packages, require installing
other libraries such as rgdal, proj, and others. Currently, these are also
available as frameworks, and installing those packages in a framework R is
now well-supported. It might be considerably more difficult to install
such packages in a non-framework R. I don't know how much would be
involved, so I just suggest it as an aspect to consider.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory