[R-SIG-Mac] Updating to Mavericks

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 31 23:19:24 CET 2013

On 31/10/2013 14:57, peter dalgaard wrote:
> Thanks Brian.
>
> One more item: If building from SVN, you may need to run "svn upgrade" in the source directory (at top level).
>
> I suppose that's a consequence of upgrading Xcode rather than Mavericks per se, but might as well mention it here.

Yes.  A quick poll of systems I have access to has svn 1.6.x on 10.7,
1.7.x on 10.8 and 10.9.  As AFAICS it is part of Xcode, it depends on
the version you had installed and I believe those machines were all
fully updated.

> Do we have any authoritative advice as to what should go into config.site? Mine seems to work unchanged, but I'm not sure I have a clue about what they are doing anymore.

I have

% cat config.site
CC="clang -mtune=native"
OBJC=$CC
F77="gfortran-4.2 -arch x86_64 -mtune=native"
FC=$F77
CXX="clang++ -mtune=native"
CFLAGS="-g -O2 -Wall -pedantic -Wconversion -Wno-sign-conversion"

Those are rather picky C flags, of course: intended to pick up issues
with long vectors.

gcc/g++ are not the same as clang/clang++, although the only differences
I have detected are what they report themselves as.  As I don't know if
there are any material differences I chose to use clang explicitly.
Similarly calling gfortran-4.2 explicitly to avoid any other versions
(and I would even consider using /usr/local/bin/gfortran-4.2).