[R-SIG-Mac] Forking issues in Mavericks

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 30 22:45:17 CET 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> Jeroen,
>
> actually, it works just fine for me on 10.9 (with CRAN build of R):

Hmm interesting. Here is a clip of what happens on my machine:
http://youtu.be/GAtKa6P75Qs. Note that it shows the error messages
from the child proc, but afterwards the parent process is also broken.
I think it is no longer allowed to use fork() or exec().

This mac is an almost completely blank installation of Mavericks. I
formatted and did a recovery of 10.8 before updating to 10.9.
Afterwards installed R.app and xquarts. Other than that almost
everything on the machine is factory settings.